Sunday, February 8, 2015

birds of passage - Winter Lady (2011)

The weather outside is reminding us which season it is right now. I wanted to follow that fact, so I’m presenting an album of Alicia Merz, a minimalistic masterpiece.


It starts with “Fatal Melody” a dark, sad and kind of depressing song. It doesn’t get happier as the album focuses on creating a desolate and icy world in our imagination. Many other songs use vocals as an additional instrument, but here the voice of Alicia is the key instruments in all the tracks, accompanied by piano, ambient drones, some fields recordings and so on. It’s really a unique music and I find it strange that listening to it always makes me experience peacefulness, even though it’s cover and titles such as “Hollow”, “Disaster Of Dreams”, “The Monster Inside You” are definitely not bound to do such a task. I love listening to it in the dark, laying down with my eyes closed, in fact I once or twice fell asleep while doing so, which just proves the calmness it produces in me.

5 comments:

  1. I should be commenting the post above, really, but I just checked this piece here and the very idea of listening to it in the dark made me shiver! ;) It's good, but much scarier than the one for the game (above).

    ReplyDelete
  2. But are you sure that this track was scary?!?! Are we talking about "Waltz While We Sleep" or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I mean that one. I feel oppressed by this circle of white noise at the beginning, and then the singer's voice is as cold as ice. It really makes me shiver and run for cover!

      Delete
    2. It's really cool that the same piece of music can evoke different emotions in different people. And the idea behind the album was to create a sensation of an icy world so I guess we can say "mission accomplished".

      Delete
  3. Quite a nice song, I'm impressed ;)

    ReplyDelete